Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pre-First Day

Hello and Welcome to my Blog!  My name is Cordero Ortiz and I am a BASIS Tucson North Senior.  As part of my senior year at BASIS, I have opted to participate in an individual research project.  After a lot of thought, I have decided to research treatment methodologies implemented by radiology.

I was EXTREMELY lucky to be offered an internship in The University of Arizona Medical Center's Radiology department.  My internship will start on Monday and I am to shadow a doctor that specializes in interventional radiology for a week, a doctor that specializes in nuclear medicine for two weeks, and a doctor that specializes in pediatric radiology for three weeks.  

Before beginning this internship, I had to sign a confidentiality agreement with the hospital, as well as complete Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) training.  HIPAA reduces healthcare fraud, streamlines the healthcare industry, guarantees that health insurance will transfer between jobs, and provides strict guidelines for the handling of patients' private health information.  HIPAA regulations are very important and violations of the act are taken very seriously.

After my training was completed, I visited the hospital on Friday for my orientation.  I was given a tour of the maze (the lobby is apparently the second floor), I met all of the doctors besides one that was in surgery, and I went to visit the Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety (ORCBS) to get a dosimeter badge.  This badge will measure the cumulative radiation that I am exposed to during the duration of my internship.  It is just a precaution implemented by ORCBS, which regulates the entire hospital to ensure everyone's safety.

The facility was truly top notch and the doctors, residents, and fellows were all extremely professional, but very friendly.  The whole experience was very surreal because it was a glimpse into a future that I am interested in.  Everything seemed up beat and complex, but very interesting.  I was admittedly intimidated at some points of the tour, but the intimidation just made me interested in learning more.

I am nervously excited to start tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment